Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Usery Mountain




I love scouts. I think it's a great way for boys to learn so many different things and such a fabulous way for their dads to be right there teaching them. I will clarify that I love scouts more now that I'm not a den leader and I just get to be moral support. Saturday was maybe pushing it though...


Our pack meeting this month was hiking to the Wind Caves. Ken had taken the boys on this hike a few months ago, but I'd never had the experience yet. This is us at the beginning of the trail. Notice the fabulous baby backpack? This was SOOOO wonderful to have - dad carried princess and I was able to concentrate on making it up the mountain. I guess I can start from the beginning. As we were first making our way up the mountain I was feeling pretty good. The trail was clearly marked and pretty easy. I had this great idea that on Saturday mornings Ken and I could get up early and bring the baby with us and hike this once a week. Ken was impressed with this idea but warned me that the trail got tougher. About three quarters of the way up the mountain, I told him I took it back. It was kicking my butt! I did power through it and even though I had a couple of brief stops on the way up, I got to the top and then had a nice long break! You might be able to see how red my face is...this is because I am absolutely exhausted! On the way down the mountain a friend told us about a hike at the Lost Dutchman. He said it's a loop, instead of up and down, and that it's not as much of a climb. I suggested to Ken that we check that hike out and maybe we can do the Lost Dutchman hike on a weekly basis and rotate in the Wind Caves once a month...I'll let you know how that goes.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Erika! And I'm enjoying your blog-- keep it coming! Hugs-- Ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOO glad you have a blog now too. Pretty soon we'll never have to get together as a family again, we'll just blog & keep in touch that way! *L* Way to go on the hike AND on getting Emma to fall asleep on her own. AWESOME milestones!

    ReplyDelete